Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Day 11: Westward Ho!






We look around what has been mission central for the past few days and realize we have a lot of packing to do! Dave devises a plan where I pack in the house, the girls carry baskets out to him in the motorhome and he puts stuff away. The boys end up a little bit of everywhere in between. It ends up being genius. We’re ready to hit the road in no time! Just one face plant by Carter…down the motorhome steps. He looks like a little Rudolph, with his scratched up nose. Even though they both took a bath last night, they look filthy. Do little boys ever truly become clean?

The drive between Spokane and Seattle takes us through a complete change in terrain. We start out with pine trees, pass through a plains area, potato fields, then suddenly a huge gorge? Then, we see pine trees and look up to see snow covered Mt. Rainer in the distance. We stop in Moses Lake, the only main town we see as a halfway point on the map, where the choices are pretty blah. Hmmmm….Arbys, Subway or Denny’s. The kids vote Denny’s.

Sitting in a huge corner booth, I am reminded why we stopped eating out. Carter is perched on top of the booth corner, Tate has spilled her green tinted Sprite all over the table, as I notice Jack picking his nose while Dave is chatting (rather loudly) on the phone. Suddenly a tiny Teva come flying past my head- Carter’s. In most cases, my children are pretty well-behaved normal people…I like to think. Something about being in public brings out the chaos. The nice thing is, the moment of insanity passes. Eventually, we’re just having a nice meal together. I hear a kid screaming across the restaurant and think, “Geez, can’t those people control their kids!” Ha! Ha!

Driving down the road, Jack says to me, “Mommy, you know how to say motorhome in Spanish” “No, I don’t,” I reply. Matter-of-factly, he replies, “Bus!” Okay. He continues to chat, nonstop down the road as Dave and I try to navigate the atlas. We end up bypassing Seattle, missing a few roads and eventually head south toward Olympia. Downtown Olympia is super cute- fun shops and cute boats bobbing up and down. We’re like the Titanic, setting sail down Main Street.

We check out a couple of weird RV parks and end up just south of town …ready for dinner and bed.

1 comment:

BETTY said...

Hi, Oregon is beautiful. When you were in Olympia, did you notice anything about a town called Ocean Park? That is where I want to go someday.

I'm glad everyone is having a good time.

I miss you though and will be glad when you get home.

Love
Mom/Grandma